Green Events Workshop offered in November
Are you an event coordinator, business owner/manager, or individual with concern for the environment? This November, the Sustainable Living Institute of Maui with UH Maui Office of Continuing Education & Training is offering a Green Events workshop that aims to give participants the education and resources needed in order to organize events with greatly reduced negative environmental impacts.
The course covers:
- Introduction to environmental issues affecting the globe and Maui, focusing on the problems associated with single use plastic
- What is recyclable on Maui and what are the challenges with recycling
- Introduction to different methods of composting, bokashi, worm composting, aerobic and anaerobic composting, large scale commercial composting, and composting on Maui
- Introduction to green certifications, such as TRUE zero waste, LEED and FSC, BPI compostable and ASTM compostable
- Types of compostable products and how they are made
- Areas of an event that can be reworked to have a lesser environmental impact such as solid waste reduction, energy and water efficiency, green catering, transportation and pollution prevention.
- Resources available on Maui for sourcing compostable products, recycling, composting, food donations etc
- Advertising your greening efforts
- How to conduct a waste audit/ collecting and reporting data
The workshop is led by Ashley O’Colmain, who has been “greening” events for over a year as Program Director for Maui Huliau Foundation.
The workshop runs Tuesdays from Nov 06 to Nov 13, 2018 from 6:00 – 8:00 pm with a $149 fee. To register, visit EdventureMaui.com